Monday, July 13, 2015

Hours of Service Meets My World

Something occurred to me yesterday that I have been considering. 


My Truck Drivers have to follow federally mandated Hours of Service.  The total number is 14 hours.  What they can do with in that 14 hours has some other rules.  11 hours of driving,  mandated breaks with in specific numbers of hours, certain things that can be done in the other hours that add up to the 14. 

When that time is up, they are mandated to have a 10 hour break time.   That 10 hours also has some pretty detailed rules as to what they can and cannot do on that time, as well.  8 of the hours must be "sleeper berth time". 

When a driver has put in a total of 70 work hours in a week (80 in some cases) they must take a 34 hour break. 

http://www.lifeasatrucker.com/


This little bit of background to explain my thoughts.  I have had my alarm set for 6 am 7 days a week for longer than I can say.  Granted I usually am sitting on my bed trying to get the energy together to actually reach up and turn out the light between 11 and 12 pm.  I generally try to get up and get a little computer work done, run a load of laundry through, fold what ever is in the dryer ad get it put away.  Wash the dishes, maybe a few other things.  All while I drink my morning pot of coffee.  I leave for "work" around 8,  eat lunch at my desk unless someone drags me out of there for a while.  I leave for my mom's house between 5 and 6pm to go cook dinner (my daughter has been handling that job for me while she has been here which has meant I could stay at work until 6) Eat dinner, clean the kitchen, and go home.  I have been getting to my house sometime around 8.  I then come in, start planning tomorrows meals, throw another load of laundry in, clean something, fall on my bed, do some computer work between 9-10 and then turn out the lights when I get the energy to do so.  So, so even if I do get that light turned out at 10, that is 16 hours the way I count it. 

So, the plan I am trying to devise is how to be more effective in 14 hours to get more rest so that I feel more like getting tings done.... etc etc and round and round. 


This is going to be a work in progress starting with "the 14 project" that I will be talking about on another blog of mine. 
And now, off to dress and head for work.  Any ideas will be welcomed and taken in to consideration by the way.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment