Saturday, January 31, 2015

I Need a Pensive Time Warp Edition 2001-2004

Before I begin, let me include a disclaimer.  For those who know nothing about my life, I assure you that this is all true if maybe somewhat out of order in a few places and you have no idea how much I have left out.  For those who "rode this horse with me"  You may want to choose to skip this part of my blog,  Ive been told its a bit much to relive in a short amount of time.  You decide. But don't say I didn't warn you.  Also, if there are things that you think I have forgotten and need included, message me and let me know and I will include them. 

Some how Sept 11 seems to be a good jumping off point. There are some events between when I was a child and that point that are important to how I got to this place on my path, but several of them are still not things I want to talk about or they involve events that involve others who probably don't want me to share their stories. 


Sept 11, 2001 Don't need to say more,  just know that we, the family who lived in the mountains with out tv by choice, GOT tv. The older kids were all at school, Jonathan was at work, the boys and I were at home just doing what we did then.  A friend emailed me (yes the world before text messaging and tweeting!!!!!)  and asked if I was watching TV.  We don't have TV so we found a place that I could find news feed on the internet, just in time to watch the 2nd tower fall.  I don't think I even today have to describe our thoughts, feelings, confusion about the situation.  What was different for us was my husbands career field.  He was in government service that involved being on a national level search, trauma and rescue team as well as his regular job.  We had no idea what this was going to mean for our family at that moment.  The Defining moment for us was when the phone rang, it was for Jonathan.  He was given the option of going on "Detail" to an undisclosed location, for an undetermined length of time, to do an undetermined job in the service of his country and he had about 2 hours to decide.  We had no idea still really what was happening nation wide, how could I say no, I don't want you to go,  What about us?  This is too frightening....... I mean this is OUR COUNTRY who needs him, right?  So, Im just trying to figure out what to do next, when we look over at Abby who is quite literally curled up fetal on the couch crying. He calls them back and tells them that he feels someone has to be on THIS side of the country to hold the fort so he would just as soon like to stay here.   Jonathans birthday is September 12.  We had planned the first ever birthday party we had thrown for him.  No one felt much like partying at that moment so, that year we went to the store and filled out his needs in the search and rescue gear line just in case he had to go to an undetermined place, for an undetermined length of time to do an undetermined job.  He has hated his birthday ever since.
We got back to life on our quiet mountain much the same as before only we are just much more aware of the things around us than we were before.  Maybe we watch "newcomers" a little more closely, and even those we have known a long time with a little more skepticism and distrust. 
Life goes on, school activities dominate our lives and we enjoy every single thing the kids are involved in and thus we are involved in.  The circle of our family attends as many things as possible

2002  Max graduates from high school. Band, sports, many things to be proud of.  He goes off on a trip with the Lions Band.  More high school activities for the girls!!!!  We have a few friends who we do a few things with when we get the chance.  Life on the mountain is great. 

2003 October 9th Jonathan and I were in El Paso to pin his supervisor bars on. I am so proud of him and so pleased that he asked me to come pin him    Phone calls are made, my uncle is coming by to pick me up.  Never mind don't rush too much, my grandfather has passed away before we could get back to town.  He had had ALS for 5 years.  His mind was totally all there but his body had betrayed him.  My grandmother had had a stroke several years before then a while later fell and broke her ankle.  Now she and my grandfather were both in the same nursing home here in town.  My mother went there at LEAST once a day, but usually every meal to go make sure her parents could eat.  When she was out of town, sick or in any other reason couldn't not be there, I went.  My boys LOVED going,  I lost them at the front door and they cruised the halls seeing their friends.  Eventually they would end up at the cafeteria, usually pushing a wheelchair or two of the friends they had made  I am not sure which one benefited most from their visits, the two rowdy children or the elderly they visited.
Life goes on Ballet, Cheerleading, Work down the mountain, the boys are involved in many things now too
Thanksgiving and Christmas that year are weird. 

2004
May, Liz graduates from high school.  Sports, Band, OM/DI so many more things.  Off we go on her senior cruise, what a blast.  The food was AMAZING!!!  How much weight did I gain?  In HOW MANY days?  The ocean, the dolphins!!!

 June 9th My Grandmother passes away.  They had been married 72 years  They were 90. 
Liz heads off to college.  Where did the time go. 
We move off the mountain into my grandparents house.  Abby rides with a friend up and down the mountain every day to school.
Thanksgiving and Christmas that year are weird.  

I know there are many events that I am leaving out in this but its so much to take in at one time so I think this is a very good place to stop for this episode.

To be continued next year.......................................

No comments:

Post a Comment